Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Trying to keep it together

It's the most wonderful time of the year

It definitely is. My kids are healthy and growing like weeds. My husband has a steady job. I've got my part-time gig that lets me work from home.

But the holidays does bring on some stress.

It just does.

There are my expectations. What I think are my kids expectations. The traveling to visit family. Getting all the 'to do' items completed. There's always a lot to do in December.

Last night I was able to wrap all the kids' gifts. Whew! I was busy wrapping the kids' gifts at the end of our bedroom, while the Hubs was on his side wrapping MY gift. No. I didn't look. But I even was able to get the kids' stocking stuffers organized and easy to reach.

Right now I'm in the midst of washing the dirty clothes that filled the baskets in our laundry room. The kids hit the library and got more books so they can keep busy this winter break. We also hit the DVD store to rent some new movies for the drive out to see my folks. I was able to get my oil changed at my regular place - got in and out of there in less than 20 minutes.

What's funny is that the guys at JiffyLube figured I was in a fabulous mood since I (and the kids) greeted them with a smile and a cheerful hello.

JiffyLube Guy: Ms. C? 

Me: Hiya! 

JiffyLube Guy: Well you're in a good mood.

Me: Oh..just trying to keep it together. The kids are home from school and I'm WAY behind in what I need to get done.

JiffyLube Guy: It's good to see people smile even when they're stressed.

Me: Oh yeah? Well, my Mom always told me that just because I'm cranky inside doesn't mean I should take it out on folks who are helping me out. 

JiffyLube Guy: I wish other people felt that way. [looking in the direction of the guy sitting in the waiting room]
At least I made SOMEONE smile today!

I'm also in the midst of downloading all the photos off my digital camera so I've got SPACE to take tons of photos. I have to be sure to charge my batteries for my camera as well. Oh yeah...I need to get that darn external drive out too so I can backup my hard-drive. Definitely have to get all the electronic stuff in order. Oh no! Our iPods! Gotta charge those too! Ay-yay-yay!

I still have a bunch of family gifts that I need to wrap this afternoon. I'm going to finish packing the kids and my bags for our trip. Trip? Yes. As always, we'll be heading out to see family for Christmas. Since we spent Thanksgiving with the Hubs' side of the family, we'll be headed out to see my side of the clan for Christmas. Can I hear a big WOOHOO! We've got one day for traveling to my family and one for getting back home. We'll be spending FOUR glorious days with my family in the town where I grew up. [sigh]

I must say that I've missed seeing my family terribly these past few months. I haven't seen them since this summer so I've been having pangs of withdrawal. But I'll be so happy to have them near me. I get tons of hugs and kisses from the kids and the Hubs, but getting them from my parents and my sisters & their families is something extra special. You know?

Now how are YOU doing with Christmas Eve just 2 days away?

No comments: