Saturday, May 28, 2011

Time enough for me

Yesterday we happened to have a half day at work. Yes! HALF DAY!

Can I hear a woo-hoo? WOO-HOO!

Rather than relax and relish in the few couple of afternoon hours before I had to get the kids. I did a few things that I usually don't have time to do. I got a trim AND I went into see my doctor.

I've been trying to grow out my hair for a while now. I haven't had a haircut since December. I've just been making due as my hair has been growing out. I did cut my bangs myself a couple months ago. A little crooked? No matter. I just brushed them to the side. Ay-yay-yay! But my hair has been a bit out of control as of late. I was getting that flipping out business. So I convinced the stylist to take as little off as possible. And you know what? This particular stylist actually listened to me. She just trimmed it up. Took off the funky ends. Cleaned up my bangs. Hopefully now my hair will grow out nicely from here on out. [crossing fingers]

No. It wasn't my yearly well-woman visit. It was a check on what's been going on with my digestive tract. Oh yeah. My darn acid-reflux has been rearing its ugly self back into my life the past week and a half. I haven't been able to sleep well at all. It's been pretty sad. Coughing on and off all night.

I showed up at 1:10pm and I found out his 1pm never showed up. My doc was able to spend a bunch of time with me. I did gain about 5 pounds since last year. Ugh! But at least my blood pressure is a-okay. The doc did confirm that the back of my throat is quite red. I did mention that I haven't eaten anything odd or unusual in the past couple of weeks. But that my stress level has been quite high. Then he asked if I'd been drinking anything different. Soda. Tea. Coffee. And then a little lightbulb went on in my head. I have up'd my morning caffeine intake. I had been drinking two cups of decaf coffee. But a couple weeks ago I started to mix in one cup of regular (aka caffeinated) to one cup of decaf. And once I mentioned that, my doc said that I had to stop that. ARGH!

This morning? I only drank a half cup of decaf with my breakfast. And now at 10:49pm? My reflux isn't as bad. By now I would be coughing up a storm from the irritation to the back of my throat from the acid. I'd also be trying to drink loads of water to try to push the acid back down. Even sleeping on my wedge wasn't helping much. I'd still have "break through" even sleeping with my body at an upward angle. So I'm quite relieved that my symptoms aren't so pronounced as they've been in the last 10 days.

I hope....I hope that the fix for my reflux is as easy as cutting caffeinated coffee from my daily intake. I hope. I hope.

No comments: