Friday, October 15, 2004

Favorite Movies

I was thinking about this last night. Why? I think because one of my all-time favorite movies was on recently. There are some movies that I can watch over and over again and never get bored. If it's on television, then I watch it. Funny thing is, I don't have any of my favorites on video or DVD! We're not much into collecting these things.

The Shawshank Redemption: Wonderful movie! He was put in jail for a crime he didn't commit. He endured some tough times alone. He casually befriended some guys. He made good with the guards. He kept going on with a little secret - his escape route! I always get so sad when Brooks gets out. He can't believe how much the outside world has changed & ends up killing himself. Also, when Tommy (Gil Bellows) gets shot -- so unfair!

Miss Congeniality: Love Sandra Bullock. Benjamin Bratt looks good in this one (my hubby thinks Ben's neck is way to long & feminine looking). It's funny to see the comedic chemistry the two have in their second movie together (Demolition Man being their first). I laugh so hard each time as she's going through her transformation in the airplane hangar. The tweezing, the waxing, the coloring & conditioning of her hair... I'm still waiting for the sequel to come out at the theaters.

The Matrix: This original is the best of the three. It brought the amazing feats that can be accomplished with wire-work to the mainstream audience. The world that they brought to film was different than any I'd seen. It's like how The Terminator affected sci-fi films in the 80s.

Aliens: I liked this second in the series much better than any of the others. It had more of an impact. I love it when she tears back into the hive and gets Newt out. I cringe every time I watch the queen detach from her egg laying system. Give me the heebee-geebees!!!! Bill Paxton was too funny as the wimpy Private. "We're toast!"

Groundhog Day: Oh my gosh! I can't believe I'm listing this one. I couldn't believe I sat in the movie theater to watch this. But I did and I'm glad I did. I watched this the first year my hubby and I were dating. Every time I watch this I'm reminded back to the time when we were first dating.

Jurassic Park: Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, & Sam Neill were great in this one. They gave it a quirky & funny edge to a "scary" movie. I love it when they're in the jeep trying to get away from the T-Rex. "You must go faster, you must go faster..."

Twister: The tornadoes were too close to people to be realistic but it's an awesome sight to imagine. I've never been near a tornado, but that movie was close enough. I could feel the tension between Helen Hunt & Bill Paxton, they were great together. Poor Jami Gertz as the fiancee. I can't forget that scene where she overhears the two of them talking and Dusty is trying to hold the umbrella over her to protect her from the rain. It's so sad!

Armageddon: Ben & Bruce saving the world? Gotta love it! The unassuming group of men out to do a job to save the world. The special affects and the music work wonders for this movie. I get sad every time Liv Tyler says "good-bye" to Bruce Willis. "Dad, Dad, no, don't go..." Breaks my heart!

There's Something About Mary: I can't believe I love this movie. Again, this is one that my hubby dragged me into the theater to watch. The "mousse" scene still gives me the creeps, but I love the singing through the movie. The fact that all these guys love this guys' girl...she doesn't even realize how amazing she is!

Enemy of the State: This technology probably already exists. At least they portrayed it pretty realistically. The fact that they couldn't identify Brill because he didn't look up. But can one agency have that much power without any checks & balances? What's funny is how many male stars are in this movie! It's like the modern version of The Outsiders! Barry Pepper, Jason Lee, Gary Busey, Scott Caan, Jamie Kennedy, Jack Black...

What are some of YOUR top 10 favorite movies?

No comments: