Saturday, October 16, 2004

Guess what she wanted?

My hubby called about an hour ago. I found out that he did get a call from his sister last night. You know why she called? She wanted to find out how she could lower her monthly payments (car, student loans, etc).

What? She's still got student loans that she's paying? She took out student loans when she was getting her bachelor's many years ago. She's 33 years old now! Hasn't she paid those off yet?

She graduated with her bachelors degree in Psychology when she was 24 years old. She tried to get into graduate school in Psychology but she didn't have the grades. She knew she wanted to get further with her Psychology studies but didn't try hard to get good grades. What is that about? If you know you want to get into graduate school, wouldn't you really concentrate and do your best while getting your bachelors?

When she graduated from college, she ended up working in a MRI office. Doing what? She was their receptionist. That psychology degree really did her some good, eh? I know that's not a nice thing to say, but could have worked harder at learning office programs (Word, Excel, etc) and gotten a much higher paying job. But no... she wanted an easy job that she could just leave at the office. Didn't do her much good.

My hubby helped her figure out her life plan. He told her about a program in the navy that would pay her to get her masters degree and provide her with a job once she graduated. He helped her get her application to school together and helped her apply for the navy program. He continued to counsel her (& continues to guide her).

Anyway, she worked through her masters degree and graduated. Then the navy placed her in a job on the East Coast. This job had her supervising enlisted people. My SIL supervising people? What a joke! I can't imagine what a mess that was. What an embarrassment for the military to have a person like her leading others. I shudder at the thought.

The entire 3 years she was gone she didn't make any close friends. I know that when I was consulting out in the Bay Area for 10 months, I clicked with my co-workers. We did lunch together every day. We went to dinner every now and then. I still communicate with a couple of them even now that it's been 6 years since that project. One guy got married and has 2 kids. One gal started her own business. Another gal was engaged for a couple years and just got married this year. It's a natural thing to make friendships, especially when you're working so far from home. But did my SIL? Nope! You know what she did? She bought a dog. A large & ugly dog too....

Now she's back in home since her stint in the navy is up. She started a new job - one that I can't believe they've hired her. I hope she can live up to the expectations they have for her. She's not the most responsible person in the world. Her judgement isn't the best. She's one of those people who still thinks & lives like she's in her mid-20s. She still has the same hair cut and color that she's had since I met her 11 years ago. She still calls her mother & father when something goes wrong. And she calls my husband when she needs advice. Still...

She bought the vehicle she's got 3 years ago. Why she didn't pay it off in 3 years (since she's single), I don't know. It's not like she had any major payments to hinder her paying off the vehicle. Then there's the student loans. It's been 9 years since she graduated with her bachelors. Isn't that long enough to pay those loans off? I know I paid the loans I had before I bought my condo at 29!

So she's got these things she wants to pay off now. Did she save ANY money while she was getting that decent officer's paycheck from the navy? NOPE! Not a dime! Apparently, she was living the high life. She didn't set aside one dinero for post military life. She could have saved up for a nice down payment on a house AND could have paid off those debts in 3 years. But like I said...she doesn't have the best judgement or life planning. That's what she's got my husband for...

I mean, it's not like my husband is years older than either of his siblings. He's 18 month older than his brother and only 36 months older than his sister! But the two of them still ask him for advice. When are those two going to stand on their own two feet? They're adults for crying out loud! Make your own decisions for your life!

I wish he'd lay down the law to them. But he's the good first son. He's always there to give advice. And he gives advice to all of them...even his parents! Oy!

No comments: