Saturday, February 12, 2005

Another possible kindergarten

Yesterday, I dropped by another school that might be a good fit for the Princess.

It's a charter school.

Key factors:

VERY good state testing scores

It's free! ....once the kiddos get into the 1st grade.

Full day kindergarten (8am - 3pm)

Small school population (next term they only want about 140 children. Total.)

Combined classes (K, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6)

Computers for each child in the classroom - they'll be overhauling the kindergarten class over the summer and have computers installed around the perimeter of the room

Required music time - they'll be spending time on the violin & the piano each week

An academic room AND an art room for the kindergarten class

Kids are allowed to accelerate to higher grade curriculum but stay with their age group (social development)

Short drive (6 miles) from new house


I've got the application and will be filling it out. They'll have a "round up" sometime in March to meet the kids. The teachers want to interact with the kids to see if they're "ready" for school. Then, they'll make their final decisions in June on which kiddos will be attending.

It's a small school, but seems like a good one. The environment seems safe and cozy. All the teachers have MBAs. All of them have been fingerprinted. When I visited, they all seemed to know the kids by their first names. Hopefully, this works out at this school.

The other school we visited? I don't think we'll be able to afford the tuition. If I won the lottery, I'd probably put my Princess in there. But as of now? We don't have the cash. Maybe once my folks move out here and I get a job, we can send her there. But that's wishful thinking.

No comments: