Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Evaluation

We've been out having my daughter evaluated. No it's nothing serious. Nothing to do with her health. It's a kindergarten readiness evaluation.

I dropped the Bear off at the hub's office, so I could concentrate on the task. I really had nothing to do at the school. But I wanted to have a quiet drive alone with the Princess beforehand. What did she and the head of admissions do? Basically, they sat on the floor and interacted.

  • Identify shapes
  • Identify colors
  • Count as high as she could (she got up to 22 before skipping to 24)
  • Identify numbers
  • Identify letters of the alphabet
  • Make the sound a particular letter makes
  • Count the number of coins on the ground
  • Determine how many coins there would be if there were two and two more were added
  • Determine how many coins if there were four and she took away two
  • Finish simple sentences. "At the zoo, I can see..." "ANIMALS!" "For breakfast, I like to eat..." "OATMEAL!"

While I was in the waiting room, I was asked to fill out a questionnaire regarding basics like "Does your child do tasks when first asked?" "Does your child take direction?"

I was pleased when the director of admissions told me there was no issue with the Princess' readiness for kindergarten. So, hopefully when all the kindergarten applications are evaluated (the deadline for applications is Feb 14th), we hope to hear that she's made it into the school. The only hitch is coming up with the tuition. But that's what we get for going the private school route. There IS a charter school down the street, but they are currently changing their cut-off dates (which would put the Princess out of the running).

Who knew getting into a school would be so stressful for a Mommy!

No comments: