Thursday, June 9, 2005

Petty adult behavior

As you all will recall, the other day we got a wedding update from my BIL & his fiancee.

All well and good, right? Well, there have been emails flowing between family. I'll let you read some excerpts to let you figure out what's going on. I'll put them in chronological order...

From my BIL to the Hubs:
We're planning on getting married on a Cruise Ship. We're looking at a 7 day Royal Caribbean cruise to the Eastern Caribbean that sails from Miami.
  • While it would be great if you guys went, there is no pressure for you and the family to attend because I know it's kind of expensive.
  • Matt (their cousin) wedding is May 1st, a few weeks later.
  • We're kind of hedging right now because Mom is pretty disappointed at our choice. We'll still probably do it, but will not make reservations for a few weeks
  • Mom and Dad aren't going
  • Little Sister is up in the air.
  • I invited Rob (another cousin) but he is not sure if he will go either.
From the Hubs to my BIL:
Is there a port call sometime during the 3rd or 4th day? The expense does not concern me but having to be away from work for more than 3 or 4 days does concern me. Miss a whole week in the market and you miss a lot. I was thinking Grace and I could do it if there is a port call either the 3rd or 4th day so that we could then fly home from the closest airport if you'd be willing to have the ceremony sometime within the first 3 days. I've spent enough time on ships to know the novelty has worn off and that I'll be ready to walk the plank by the 4th day anyway. Also, Grace is prone to seasickness.

From my BIL to the Hubs:
Sun - Depart Miami
Mon - At sea
Tues - San Juan, Puerto Rico
Wed - Philipsburg, St Maarten
Thu - St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Fri - At sea
Sat - Nassau - Paradise Island, Bahamas
Sun - Miami

As I said earlier, I'll let you know when we firm up our decision. Hope you can make it.

From me to my BILs fiancee:
Although I'm sure there's disappointment in the air on the current plan for the two of you to get married...I want you to know that the Hubs and I support the two of you in your decision. It's your wedding. It's your honeymoon. The Hubs and I are going to try to figure out how to get things planned out so we can go. But even if we don't go? You have our support 100%. We're not ones to go along with what others might think or say. You know? Always know we're behind the two of you with whatever path you choose.

From my BILs fiancee to me:
Thanks for your support. From what I understand "the Mom" is pretty upset. I haven't spoken to or seen either "the Mom" or "the Dad" since my fiancee (my BIL) talked to them about our plans. My fiancee (my BIL) and I talked about changing our plans, we'll have a final decision in a week or so. My fiancee is pretty bummed that his mom is so upset.
It is really kind of you and the Hubs to try and go. We completely understand if you can't make it, we know you both have full plates, with the kids, work and all, not to mention the expense! We are planning to have a small reception when we get back.

Can you believe my MIL is making such a big stink about the decision to take a cruise? My Hubs and I view this as an opportunity to do something different. Take a vacation we wouldn't otherwise do on our own. My MIL? I've known her long enough to conclude that she wants my BIL to have a wedding that's convenient for her and for her family to attend. I still can't believe she gave my BIL a flat out "NO" about going. I mean, it's not going to be for another 10 months! Plus, the two did mention they would have a reception once they return.

What do you think about the situation?

No comments: