Sunday, June 19, 2005

Weird behavior

We celebrated Father's Day yesterday up with the Hubs side of the family. We drove up early so the kidlings could spend time with the ILs. They had a good time with my FIL. My MIL had left for church when we arrived and it was time to drive to the restaurant by the time she got home.

We got to the restaurant at the same time my SIL drove up. We walked in together and they seated us immediately. My MIL had called and made the reservation so the staff had our table set up. We were placed at a couple tables squished together. On the wallside of the tables is a long benchseat that spans the entire wall. On the other are 4 chairs. They had one highchair set up. There were 9 of us total. We told the gal we weren't going to need the highchair. The Bear hasn't used it for a few weeks now. The little guy clamored onto the benchseat next to the Hubs. My SIL sat next to the Bear. The Princess sat next to my SIL. All fine, right? No. Once they took the highchair away, I realized we were short a chair. So I took one of the chairs & squeezed along the end of the table. My BIL and his fiancee came next. She sat next to me and my BIL next to her. My ILs came in a couple minutes later. My FIL immediately sat down next to my BIL. My MIL? She sat on the benchseat at the next table with a sour look on her face. She seemed perturbed. I guess when I took the one chair we were short a chair. But why not ask for another one? It's not like there wasn't a place setting next to my FIL! She ended up sitting at the end of the table opposite me (see photo rendering).

Now why didn't my MIL sit right next to my FIL? There was a place setting there. Anyway, the entire dinner she had a sourpuss face. I was happy to be on the total opposite part of the table from her. What's amazing is that she had just come from church. And to act all uppety? That's not right. Aren't you supposed to feel settled and joyful after church? I don't know. Why attend mass if you're not going to exude what's been taught at church?


My MIL talked outside the restaurant after dinner for a minute. I'd overheard during dinner that she was going to order wood shutters for her bedroom. She was planning on getting them from one of the big discount warehouse stores. She'd have my FIL put them up. Okay. Fine. But this is the first time we'd ever heard that she wanted shutters. She'd never been interested in them before. She has been talking about redoing her kitchen. She's been contemplating this for two years.

Me: "So, you're going to get wood shutters?"

MIL: "I'm only going to get them for the bedroom. I want to see how they turn out."

Me: "Are you still planning on changing your kitchen?"

MIL: "Yes. I just went over to see what Mary (her neighbor) did with hers."

Me: "So when do you think you'll be changing your kitchen?"

MIL: "I don't know. It depends on how much it costs."

Okay. She's been thinking about changing her kitchen for TWO years. She's had time to check out different cabinets & counters at the big home improvement stores. She's had time to do this. It's not like she has any other responsibilities other than herself and her husband. It's not like the kitchen will reflect my FILs style. It's my MIL who runs the show. What's stopping her from getting pricing information? She should have all the cost estimates by now if she was SERIOUS about doing her kitchen. If she's not going to do anything about the kitchen, then she needs to stop BITCHING about how she wants a new kitchen! And she complains about her kitchen every second or third visit.


Most of you know that my MIL gets on my last nerve. Couldn't leave this post without some nice things that happened yesterday.


There was the Bear. In his carseat. Situated behind the Hubs, who was driving. The Bear had his shoes off. His feet were stretched up. Resting on his Daddy's headrest.

Bear: "Ow!"

[about 10 seconds pass]

Bear: "Ow!"

What was causing him pain? He was hitting his shins with a little plastic green hammer. Yes folks! He was hitting himself.


We're on the ride back home. The Princess has been keeping busy by singing silly songs to herself.

Prin: "All you've got to do is laugh...All you've got to do is hop...All you've got to do is jump..."

Bear: "Jump!"

Prin: "You've got to...jump! And you've got to...run!"

Bear: "Jump!"

Prin: "It's all about H-G-T-V! H-G-T-V!"

It's like the Bear was a back-up singer when he chimed in. Then the shift to HGTV? I guess I watch too many home improvement shows?


Me: "Look! There are horses over there on the right!"

Prin: "They're riding their owners!"

Me: "Uh...the owners are riding their horses."

Prin: "Yeah!"


The Bear on the left side of the truck (behind the driving Hubs).

The Princess on the right side of the truck behind me.

Both have the leg closest to the other hanging from their safety seats (carseat & booster).

They are both swinging their legs towards each other.

They are having a foot fight. In the car.

Thankfully...it was in FUN...not war. Whew!

No comments: