Sunday, November 13, 2005

Lack of detail

Oh my....

I worked yesterday.

That's right internet. I was working on a Saturday. Yet again.

I'm enjoying my job. That's not the problem. It's how unorganized things can be. THAT is what drive me nuts-zoid.

Yesterday? I was working on updating a set of instructions. I got these instructions from a client. It's instructions on how to put together a report. A report that requires us to combine about 15 source data reports.

The instructions I got from the client had 3 pages to it. My updated version of the instructions has 10 pages to it. Yes. Ten. TEN! That's more than three times the length of the original. Why, you ask? Lack of details. Their instructions kind of skimmed over certain areas. Like what specific part of the source data we were supposed to put into what part of the final report. Like how things the various relate to each other.

Their instructions might make sense to whoever created the instructions. To whoever created that report. But to me? No sense. Even the references they use for the source data reports weren't consistent. It's funny (in retrospect) how they thought their instructions were thorough. NOT!

I spent about 6 hour trying to understand the entire process. It was confusing. I feel much more clear on what the start and the middle of the process should be like. The last third of the work? I still have two pieces left to decipher. But I need to talk to the client on what the heck their instructions are trying to ask us to do. It does NOT MAKE SENSE!

I'm hopeful that tomorrow or sometime this week I can get the last bits of it cleared up. But this week is going to be an amazingly crazy week. Tomorrow there are two things due. Then Tuesday there are five things due. Then the company has a couple important deadlines to meet with clients. Stuff that I've suddenly been thrown into. Stuff I haven't even known about. Why? Because my boss is moving to a new house this week. Great timing, eh?

Because of my impending no-sleep week, I may not get online at all in the coming days. OR I may be on quite a bit with little rants on how pathetic my week is going. Hmmm..

Wanna take any bets on my week?

No comments: