Tuesday, February 21, 2006

It's not that I know better. I just know what to expect!

Yesterday my husband had the day off. He doesn't get many days off but he did have a 3-day weekend.

Sunday night, he started to ask the Princess about what she wanted for lunch.

Me: "What're you asking her that for?"

Hubs: "I'm going to get her ready in the morning."

Me: "You are?"

Hubs: "Yeah. Since I'm going to be home..."

Me: "Thanks honey!"

He continued to chat with the Princess about school morning prep. I didn't think anything of it.

Later on when the kids were in bed, I started talking to him about how I drop them off.

Me: "So I tend to drop him off first. But on Mondays I drop her off first because we have to bring in his fresh linens to his room on Mondays."

Hubs: "What?"

Me: "Yeah. On Mondays, I walk into the place and drop off his linens..."

Hubs: "But he's staying home tomorrow."

Me: "What? I think you should bring him to school..."

Hubs: "No, it'll be great. I'm going to take care of him."

Okay. Right. I knew right then and there it was a decision he would regret.

My son. At home. With my husband. While I tried to work in our home office.

BIG MISTAKE!

It didn't take my husband long to figure out that the day would not develop into what he had pictured in his mind.

The drama started after the Princess got dropped off. The Bear was a little bit confused when my husband brought him home instead of dropping him at school. He came into the house all mopey-bopey. My husband couldn't read his face. But I knew the kid wanted to go to school.

Then there was the lack of nap. My husband figured that the boy would fall asleep when they went to pick up the Princess from school. The little guy was on the VERGE of falling asleep 2 blocks away from the school. My husband was a little early for pick-up, so he decided to turn on the street just before the school driveway. As my husband made the right turn, the Bear bolted forward in his booster and pointed to the Princess' school.

"Sisssy! Sissy!"

He was on the brink of falling asleep, but he KNEW my husband wasn't going the right way.

But the Bear was pretty edgey all day. It didn't make my husband very happy.

Me: "So next time you'll listen to me, right?"

Hubs: "Uh...."

Me: "If you'd listened to what I said Sunday night about taking him to school..."

Hubs: "Oh that..."

Me: "Just think....you could have had a real nap today if he was at school. You could have done those couple of errands and crashed for a long nap."

He looked at me. He knew he'd made a mistake. He should have kept the Bear in his normal routine. He realized that a day of frustration would have been different. It would have been a quiet day. At home. With no kids in sight.

No comments: