Friday, May 12, 2006

Prepping it up

8am on Saturday morning, the bridesmaids all met at my parents house.

We were scheduled to leave for the church at noon.

There were 3 additional ladies there. My Mom's regular hair lady along with her daughter-in-law, who is also a stylist and make-up artist. And some other lady who my sister found at a bridal convention.

My sister (the bride), me, and the two maids of honor were all going to get our make-up and hair done by the bridal convention lady.

The rest of the bridesmaids, my Mom, the Princess and my niece's daughter (who were both flowergirls) were getting their hair done by the other two ladies.

My make-up went on right after my sister's hair got up in curlers. The lady took a LOT of time. She put a bunch of different lotions on my face. I guess I needed a lot of help. Me being the oldest in the bridal group I didn't want to skimp on any help to make me blend more with these young-uns. And if you saw the photo in a prevous post...then you KNOW this lady did a lot of work!

My sister and the other two got their make-up on. The other girls were getting their hair done.

But suddenly it was 11:30 and one maid of honor and I had NOT gotten our hair done yet.

Uh...we were scheduled to leave in half an hour!

So she and I looked at each other. The one lady was working on my sister's hair. No rushing that one. So we kind of rangled our way to the other two ladies and sat down. We both got simple up-dos. Think Audrey Hepburn. Sideswept hair up front. Smooth pulled back hair. With a pincurl bun in the back. Classic. Easy. Quick to do!

What was the most irritating was my sister coming up to us at 12:15pm.

"When are you guys going to be done?"

I held my tongue. If we hadn't asked the other two ladies to do our hair then our hair still wouldn't have been done! The other lady didn't manage her time too well. She left us hanging!

So the limo had to wait. We didn't leave until 12:45pm.

But we got to the church and were hanging out deciding what to do next when the church coordinator came in not 10 minutes later.

"What're you all doing?"

"We're relaxing."

"It's 1:20 already. We're going into the church in a couple of minutes."

Did I happen to mention that NONE of us were dressed? We had clothes on. But we didn't have our gown on. We all were in our wedding party gifts. Light pink knee-length robes. Yup! The BEST gift ever.

Anyway, once the coordinator said that we hauled a$$. Once we got dressed we had to help my sister into her gown. And we still had to take individual photos with my sister! Talk about mad dash in the back room, eh?

But we all made it. No big.

And the makeup lady? As a result of the plaster she put on my face, I've been having to battle the acne all week. My face feels dry. I can feel stuff under the surface just waiting to erupt. I've had to put on a clay mask every other day to help open up my pores. But that make-up stayed on ALL day, so it was worth it I guess!

No comments: