Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Childhood friendship

Every weekday afternoon it's the same.

I go pick up the Bear from "school".

Generally, one of his friends will see us first.

"Bay-ew! Yo Mama heew!"
I love to hear his friends announce my arrival.

"Tha-s my Maw-mee!"

I love to hear the Bear's daily response.

Today? His regular teacher was just about to step out for a break. She saw me walking across the main room to the 3 year old class. She continued to stand there holding the door open.

"I've got to see the daily announcement."

I stand in the doorway and peer in to locate my little guy.

"Bay-ew! Yo Mama heew!"

The Bear looks up. RUNS over to me.

"Tha-s my Maw-mee!"

It all hugs and kisses. Then I hear the friend who made the announcement.

"I need a hug!"

The little friend walks over. He and the Bear hug each other.

Two other little guys run over and each gives the Bear a hug. Then they wave to him as they walk back to what they were doing.

"Bye! See you too-maw-woah!"

The teacher looks at me and smiles.

"Those 'Tweener' kids are SO close!"

"Yeah....it's funny how much they enjoy each other."

I just so enjoy watching the Bear and his friends. It's all HUGS and smiles now. I wonder when that's going to change. You know. How boys stop hugging each other? But for now? The wear their hearts on their sleeves. No baggage. Just the affection of one friend to another. It's GREAT!

No comments: