Sunday, October 15, 2006

I'm in the minority?

I find it interesting that I'm in the minority. The minority? Yes. Being married. Turns out that us married couples are in the minority according to the 2005 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau.

It turns out that more couples are living together.

I think that's a major shift. It's more acceptable in 2006 to live together than ever before.

I came from a very traditional family and so did my husband. More than ten years ago when my husband and I got serious, we did not live together. I had a condo. He had an apartment. Granted, I'd be at his place or he'd come to my place each night but we didn't cohabitate officially in one location. We kept up the illusion that we were living alone. I think it was more for our family traditions than what we wanted really. But then again, I think I wanted to live alone as long as possible. Have my own place. A place that I could call my own. Mine. Mine. MINE! That I was taking care of myself. That I could take care of my own vehicle. My own home.

Now are you cohabitating with your significant other? Or did you cohabitate before you were married? Tell. Tell me!

No comments: