Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Wants & Needs

In this season of purchasing and receiving gifts, I found it wonderful to see that my daughter's class would be discussing the difference between a want and a need.

We live in such a "give me" society. I thought the lesson would be an interesting one. It's a topic that they're working on all week. On Monday, the class had a basic discussion about a want and a need. On Tuesday, they brainstormed about the wants and the needs of life.

And today? Their homework was to create two columns. One labeled "Want" and one labeled "Need". Then they'd draw what they'd consider a want and a need. My daughter's homework sheet had items separated based upon what we need to live.
We NEED: Food, water, clothes, shoes, shelter
We WANT: Toys, cars (she said there are buses), bicycles, dolls

She seems to understand the difference....but as her Mom I have definitely seen her selfish side. But it's good to know based upon our discussion this evening that she does know the difference. And hopefully the school lesson will expand to the things she's asking for in the future.

No comments: