Saturday, December 9, 2006

What I learned from my boys

I have learned some interesting things about my boys today.

That my son is a flirt. And that my husband doesn't know as much about people as I thought.

First, my husband. He was brought up in the Catholic faith. He's no longer a practicing Catholic. I think that 2 years in parochial school turned him off. But I never realized how non-versed he was with other people and their religion.

This morning I conveyed to him a silly episode of Hogan Knows Best. The one where Linda and Terry try to meet the neighbors in their new neighborhood and bring home-baked cookies as an offering? That's when the family learns that they have a bunch of neighbors who are Jewish.

Oh sorry, we'd love to but we can't. We're Kosher.

Linda, Terry and the kids had NO IDEA what that meant. They had to go to a Kosher store to find out that there's a whole niche of food that falls into the Kosher category. And this is basically what I was telling the Hubs. That the Hogan family hard to learn about Kosher food before they hosted a neighborhood party. That they ended up partially catering their party but still ended up purchasing some Kosher meats. My husband listened to the story until I got to a part that confused him.

Hubs: HUH?
Me: You know....it's like in that Melanie Griffith movie where she moves into a Hasidic Jewish community to find a murderer? Where she almost put the milk into the wrong refrigerator?
Hubs: What are you talking about?
Me: Babe. You don't know that the Kosher and non-Kosher stuff need to be in totally different refrigerators?
Hubs: TWO refrigerators? Why? Isn't Kosher just how the food is prepared?
Me: It's not just how it's prepared. There are certain parts of the animals that they're not supposed to eat. There are certain animals that can't be consumed. They even have to use separate utensils if they're cooking Kosher and non-Kosher foods. And that's what stumped Terry when he was grilling. He grilled the Kosher burgers on the left side of the grill and the non-Kosher burgers on the right. And he was using the same spatula to turn them all.
Hubs: Uh. Okay. I never knew that....

Then tonight as we drove home from dinner out, we took the long way home to check out houses that had their holiday lights up.

Look on the left!
Look there's a bunch on the right!
There's more on the left again. A lot!
Oh look, there's one where a Jewish family lives.

My husband looks at me.

Hubs: What? How would you know that?
Me: The lights on all the house are blue and white.
Hubs: So?
Me: Blue and white are the colors of Hanukkah.
Hubs: Really?
Me: Dear love. Did you notice across the street at Ron's house? The Star of David he's got in his front yard is in blue?
Hubs: Hmm....I never noticed that.
My husband is 38 years old and he never noticed that the Hanukkah decorations are prominently blue and white. How could he be the age that he is and NOT know these basics? I guess I taught him a couple things today, eh?

And then there's the Bear y'all. He is a flirt to the nth degree. As I mentioned at the start, we ate dinner out tonight. We went to the neighborhood Chinese restaurant. It's one of those non-fancy places. We seat ourselves. It's not fancy. But it's fast and it's got a laid-back atmosphere. We sat down and the gal who always seems to be there came up with the menus. I took the one she handed to me and looked across to the table. And what I saw surprised me.

Why? There was the Bear looking at the gal with a sheepish grin on his face with one eye blinked. Flirting! He's just almost FOUR years old people. I couldn't believe it! But the gal laughed and the Bear ate up her attention. Oh boy! Then whenever she came, the gal just HAD to laugh.

OHHHH! SHOUP! [slirping sound]
There da wice!
It's da chee-ken!

He knew each time she came by that she'd have a dish for us. So he was excited every time she came past us. He made her night. But where oh WHERE did he learn how to flirt like that?

Now did anyone else learn something interesting about their boys today?

No comments: