Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Directionally challenged

My husband is directionally challenged. He won't admit it, but he is. He'll make a wrong turn and won't admit to the mess up. The last time we drove up to visit his folks, he went a different way. He went northbound on an overpass above the highway and continued north. When I good and well that his parents house is SOUTH of that freeway.

Me: Uh....honey? Are you sure you're going the right way?
Hubs: Yeah. There house is on X street, that's up this way.

We continue northbound and he finally checks the street names at the 4-way we're stopped at. Guess what we did? That's right! A U-TURN!

So this lack of a general sense of direction runs in his family. My MIL is horrible at giving directions and getting places. That's why my FIL always drives.

This weekend, my SIL did her first triathalon. She ended up making wrong turn at the beginning of the bike leg (the second part of the race). And ended up going 2 miles in the wrong direction. Did she not notice that there were no other riders? There were no spectators? That the way she was going was not marked? Uh-no. She went TWO MILES until she realized she'd gone the wrong way. Which means she ended up riding 4 extra miles on her bike. Now for you folks who do triathalons....the way you need to go is pretty clearly marked, right? I wonder if anyone else followed my SIL going the wrong way?

Now are YOU the type to go the same way as others are when you're going somewhere? Be it at an amusement park....or a walk...or a race...whatever. OR are you the type who memorizes the path before you go somewhere? OR the type who constantly checks the map as you're going? Me? I'm the kind who checks the map the night before and memorizes main streets or landmarks. This way I have a sense of where I'm at even if I do get lost.

I'm still chuckling....TWO miles out off the race course...

No comments: