Thursday, September 6, 2007

I had a good feeling just talking to her

This afternoon I met the person I'd selected to be my primary care physician.

As I mentioned before, the office is around the corner. I found that the office has a large waiting room. The chairs are spread out so you're not knee-to-knee with the person sitting across from you. There are large windows so I didn't feel closed in.

This first meeting was positive. It was a consultation really. The medical assistant got my weight and blood pressure. We chatted for a few minutes about my general health. The doc came in soon after.

My new doc? A lady. Yup! My first lady doctor in ages. She and I talked for at least a half hour. We discussed my family's medical history. I guess I should say I pointed out things about my father's medical condition -- glaucoma, adult onset diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, kidney stones. I let her know that it's because of my father that I wanted to get my baselines all done at this time. You see, he was about 40 when his health started going downhill. And I'm the daughter who is MOST like my father physically (as well as mentally).

We talked about my current health and concerns. We discussed what baseline tests I should have at this time. And things are rolling right along.

Today? I had an XRay of my right wrist/forearm to determine if there's anything wrong with my wrist. I let her know that about 8 years ago I tore a ligament. But now I'm feeling that tingling in my fingertips. She wanted to make sure the bones and all that looked okay.

Next Wednesday? I've got a baseline mamogram scheduled along with a DEXA (Bone Mineral Density test).

Next Thursday? That's when I have my full physical. Some blood samples will be taken so I won't be able to eat past midnight Wednesday and anything Thursday morning. I'll be able to drink as much water as I want though! Ha! It'll be an interesting appointment. I haven't had a full physical ever. But at least I'll get a full workup and know more about what's going on inside this skin of mine.

But let me tell you, I haven't felt this "positive" about meeting a physician since my OB in Phoenix. The one I picked by dropping by the office after the visit to the first OB I selected turned out yucky? Only after I spoke with him did I find out that he was one of the best OBs in the Valley. He was a fabulous obstetrician. I mean FABULOUS! His entire practice was top notch. Anyway, I think I found myself a good doc this time around. And I'm really happy.

No comments: