Wednesday, October 17, 2007

1st Quarter meausrements

The Princess brought home her 1st quarter report card. I know she's an intelligent kid. I just know that I have issues with how she applies herself here at home. But at school? She's doing good. She received 3A's in all her categories (out of a 4 scale) in second grade.

What I find great is that her school uses computers to get the kids to work on their skills. And the programs actually monitor how each student is doing. The programs spit out at what point a student would "normally" master a skill in increments of grade level and month. So here is where the Princess is at...

Reading - start of year - 2nd grade + 3 months
Reading - end of 1Qtr - 2nd grade + 8 months

Math Concepts - start of year - 3rd grade + 1 month
Math Concepts - end of 1Qtr - 3rd grade + 6 months

Spelling - start of year - 3rd grade
Spelling - end of 1Qtr - 3rd grade + 4 months

Since they do utilize computers to do their core work, they are able to work ahead if they've mastered the core skills of where they should be at. And the homework that gets sent home is based upon where each student is at with the specific computer programs. My girl gets homework on skills she is still trying to master. It's cool. Then she and I sit down and go over it. I help her where she needs support. It's great that she's continually challenged with the things she's doing and not having to "wait" for other kids to catch up.

I'm still amazed that the first quarter is already done though. DONE! Only 3 more quarters left to go.

No comments: