Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What's going on in there?

The kidlings went to the dentist last week. It was the Bear's first time, so I wanted it to be a double-visit. This way, the Bear could watch what was being done with his sister. I selected a pediatric dentist. I wanted the Bear's first dental experience to be a positive one. And (thankfully) it was a good visit. Granted, we had to wait extra long to get seen. I guess the dentist was having trouble with a [gulp] extraction.

The Princess got x-rays done first. Then the Bear got his done. He stayed still as a stone. The technician was a sweet gal, so the Bear (naturally) listened to her.

The hygienist was a gal as well. She did a nice job on the kids' cleaning. She did ask me if the Bear would be getting a flouride treatment, but I decided it wouldn't be a good idea. I saw how much it foamed in the Prin's mouth and I had a feeling the Bear wouldn't handle that situation well.

The dentist said the kids teeth look good. He told me the steps that we'd be going for with the Princess' "extra" tooth. Yes. My girl has an extra baby tooth up above her top left baby tooth. We're going to have to get that extra one manually extracted once she looses her top baby teeth. Did you hear that? An EXTRACTION! I'm going to have to definitely schedule that during winter or spring break. ARGH!

AND....last Thursday I went in to get my own teeth checked out and cleaned. My gums are good. Only one area that looks like it needs extra attention. I must tell you that the reason I actually went in is because my left jaw was aching. Not painful. Just aching. It was getting to that point where I didn't want to open my mouth too wide because it was cause discomfort. I wasn't sure if it was my nightly grinding (for which I have a night guard) OR if it was an issue with a tooth. I found out that my back left molar had 2 vertical cracks in them. CRACKS! I have a big old filling in there, so the tooth wasn't as strong as it could be. The solution? A crown.

Today was the first step. The dentist put some topical in my cheek and shot in some numbing stuff. He came back about 5 minutes later and asked if I felt numb. NOPE! He shot more stuff in a different spot and I was good to go. He had to take an impression of my tooth, take out the old filling, clean up the tooth, and put on a temporary crown. I guess there was some decay under my filling, so he had to do a bit of cleaning. Oy! There was grinding and effort. And I was fully awake. I just lay there with my eyes closed. I always lay with my eyes closed when I'm at the dentist. I don't like seeing all the equipment they use. I also don't like having that stuff close to my eyeballs! And since they were grinding and removing stuff, I didn't want any flying bits to get in my eyes. That's the LAST thing I needed (since I already wear contacts).

But now I've got the temporary crown in. I go back in two weeks to get my permanent crown. ANOTHER dental visit! That'll be my third in a month. But that can't be helped. I'm old. Thankfully, the rest of my mouth is fine. Just that one darn tooth!

No comments: