Saturday, December 8, 2007

...and he goes out of his way for them again...

Yesterday when the Hubs was taking a nap, his phone rang. Logically, whoever called went into voicemail. When the Hubs woke up and I was making dinner, he checked the message. I was surprised when he actually started dialing his cell as he walked towards our office.

Hmmm....I wonder who it was?

He walked back into the family room less than 2 minutes later.

Me: So who'd ya call?
Hubs: My sister.
Me: Your sister? What'd she want?
Hubs: She's moving next weekend and she wants my help.
Me: Uh-huh. And?
Hubs: She let me know what time she was starting so I know what time to leave here.
Me: Wait. What? You're going to help her?
Hubs: Yes...
Me: You're going to be gone an entire day and you didn't bother asking me?

I had to walk away. I was so pissed. He is going to drive up 2 hours. Help his sister move for 6 hours. And take another 2 hour drive home. He only gets 2 days off a week. And he'll be gone away from us an entire day. Does he deserve a day away? Can he do things he wants to do? Sure! For the last 6 years, he's purchased season tickets for his university's football team. He goes to the home games (which are 2 hours away from where we live) every fall. So he does get to get away and do something he enjoys.

What ticks me off even more is that when we moved down here, my SIL balked at the Hubs' request for help. When we moved down here, the Bear was 14 months old and the Princess was 3. AND we only were taking about 1/3 of our belongings with us. We were moving into temporary housing and had already put the rest of the 2/3 of our stuff into storage. So my SIL did not help us one iota. It was too much OUT OF HER WAY is what she told the Hubs. And now? She had the nerve to ask the Hubs for HIS help. It's not like she doesn't have my FIL and a couple uncles and all her supposed friends, who all live nearby, to help her!

I'm not mad at the Hubs. He always takes he high road when it comes to his family. He helps them no matter what. It just that my SIL (or MIL or BIL in other situations) has the NERVE to ask the Hubs for his help. The Hubs gives and gives and gives to his family. And they never give back to us. Sure, they give to the kids. But the Hubs and myself? Not so much. I can't believe other people's nerve. I can't. It baffles me.

No comments: