Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Broken or bruised?

I've been a gimpy girl for a while now.

Gimpy, you ask? Yes. I've been limping about for about 2 1/2 weeks. I've been trying NOT to bend two specific toes on my right foot. My middle toe and one to the left of it. Why? Because three weeks ago, I noticed that the tips of the toes were tingly and numb.

Tingly and numb? Just two toes? What could that be caused by? Well, I didn't know. And when YOU don't know something, where do you go? Internet! Yes, I googled myself silly and got myself all whirled up. Diabetes? My father has adult-onset diabetes where he has to now take insulin. Multiple Shlerosis? That can flare up at any time. Pinched nerve? Then I'd have to figure out what nerve was causing it. My brain was on overload. It was broken. I could still move my toes. But moving my toes? Was causing more pain. Hence, the funny walking to avoid bending my toes. You know how HARD it is to walk without bending your toes for over 2 weeks? And I went to the mall on Saturday!

Anyway, after getting myself all riled up for 3 days and when I was on the verge of calling the doctor, I finally remembered that I had raked my toes up against our metal scale in the bathroom one night when I hadn't pushed it fully under the vanity area of our bathroom. I mean, I really crunched my toes something awful. When I remembered the incident, I couldn't believe that I'd forgotten about it! Because when I scraped those toes, in my mind I was thinking "Oh my freaking goodness that hurts all to HE&*!!!"

Once I remembered the incident, I concluded that I had badly bruised toes. And what do you do with bruised toes? Nothing. You just let it heal. Some folks on the Internet said that they taped their toes as if they'd broken them -- to help immobilize them to assist in the healing process. Me? I went the cheapo route and just massaged my foot about 5 times a day to increase circulation that would help the healing process. I wore socks to keep my feet warm (remember the tingling?) which would keep the blood flowing to my foot. And I walked my funny walk.

Finally after 2.5 weeks, I've bent my toes. But only while I was sitting down. Just a few times today. I don't want to overdo it on my first day. But I think my toes are now healed. Whew! Halleluia! Now I can run around with the kids this weekend!

****

And my "strange" post from the other day? I'm sure that looked odd for you regular readers. I was actually serious about people getting back to me too. I was trying to help a friend who is in IT recruiting get some "fresh" resumes, but no one did [sniffle-sniffle]. Anyway...thought I'd just make a note of my failure to get people to respond and move on. I guess I shouldn't get into the marketing field, eh?

No comments: