Sunday, December 16, 2007

Holiday pageantry

The Bear was in his first holiday "production" this evening.

The entire daycare has been practicing 5 songs for about 3 weeks now. They had hand motions to go along with the words. SO cute.

I found out on Thursday that the Bear would have a SPEAKING part, not just be one of the choir.
Teacher: Do you think he'll be okay with the crowd?
Me: Yes.
Teacher: I asked him and he said he would but I wanted to check with you.
Me: Yes. He'll definitely be okay with it. He's not shy about people.
At yesterday's practice I got to watch the production. The kids' choir from the church. The angels were the Bear's class. The Bear and two of his cohorts? They were the inn keepers. The name of Bear's inn? The Holiday Inn! What was the cutest is that his hotel had a little window that he just peeked his head out of.

So today was the actual production. We had to bring the Bear in for prep at 5pm. The event didn't start until 6pm. But they had to get the kids changed into their costumes and organized. Thankfully, we came early enough to secure an aisle seat that was diagonal from the Bear's hotel. So when the Bear got into his "hotel" he looked out the window. And I knew he was looking for us. I waved. The Princess waved. I could see his little face turn slowly. He had a look of uncertainty in his eyes. But when he saw us waving at him? His face broke out in a wide grin and he waved back. I gave him a flying kiss. And he returned it back to me.

Soon enough it was time for Mary and Joseph to start looking for a place to stay. They knocked on the first inn and the little boy said his lines very softy. And the couple was turned away. Then they knocked on the second inn (Bear's inn). The narrator began to read that part of the story and....
We have NO room. Try the next inn!
The audience heard the Bear's prematurely stated line. The narrator continued the part of the story and...
We have NO ROOM. Try the NEXT INN!
My little guy didn't need a microphone at all. It was as clear as day. And he wasn't yelling his lines. His voice projected perfectly so that everyone in the audience could hear what he said. I was amazed. We heard him better than the kids who were twice his age (the ones who were the 3 Kings). I guess my Mom's pride could visibly be seen. The lady to my left asked if the Bear was my son. I guess I was giddy!

So the Bear's first go at acting was a raving success. He's a ham. I should expect more productions in his future.

How are your kids' holiday productions going?

No comments: