Saturday, March 22, 2008

Will it be fun or will I bite my tongue?

Today we'll be driving up and spending the afternoon at my IL's house.

[gulp]

It's going to be a way for the Hubs' family to celebrate Easter with the kids. That's fine and dandy. I know they love the kids. They do. I know they do. It's just that those people can get on my last nerve. You know it. I know it. I just hope that they don't get on that nerve today.

I'm going to HOPE that it's going to be a pleasant afternoon. That I won't have to ignore snotting comments. That I won't have to take deep breaths. That I won't have to bite my tongue to keep from saying anything back.

I just don't say snotty comments back. I don't. Why? Because if I do say ANY yucky comment back to my IL or SIL, then it'll be communicated to the rest of the MIL's family (about 75 strong) by the end of the night. YES! It's true. Then the backlash will be on me. Not what my MIL or SIL said. I'll be the bad person in the situation. I've seen it happen to other "married in" people in the family.

The blood-related ones stick together through anything. EVEN when the blood-related family member does something heinous. Like having a drug problem and stealing from another family member. Like stealing another family member's SSN and getting fraudulent credit cards and spending those to the max. Yeah. Bad stuff. So the blood-related family members are always forgiven. And the married in's? Anything negative they've done are remembered and held against them. Go figure!

So I hope it's a good day. A good day on a beautiful sunny afternoon. Hope with me?

No comments: