Monday, April 7, 2008

Something that made me pause

I saw something last week that made me stop in my tracks. I was actually talking to the Bear and I stopped mid-sentence. I did. I remember being hit by what I saw and just staring if only for a moment.

We were in $tarbuck$. I'll go in sometimes instead of going in drive-thru so that the Bear can look at the pastries. Also if we don't need to get anywhere then what's the point of drive-thru? So we meandered into the place and patiently waited for my Triple-Venti Caramel Macchiato with one sweet-n-low. If I get that extra shot I have to add a little sweetness into the mix. Anyway, I got my drink and the Bear shared my pumpkin loaf for a snack.

We sat in the corner table about 10 feet away from the barista. As normal, I people watched as we sat there. About 10 minutes into our snack I noticed a couple of gals and a little girl. They were finished placing their order and they waited at the table right in front of the barista's area. These gals were young, in their early 20's, and the little girl looked about 2 years or less. The gals were standing and the little girl decided to sit down. She placed a plain hot dog onto the table and climbed up onto a chair. Then she grabbed the hot dog and continued to munch on it. The gals started to get drinks and put one down on the table -- a frappucino. The little girl saw it and immediately put down the hot dog and grabbed the drink and took a LONG sip out of the straw. By then the gals and a drink carrier and had the rest of their beverages in order. The one gal picked up the frappucino that was on the table. Then they all left.

Okay. Does anyone have any idea what made me pause? Was it the little girl sipping that frappucino? Was it the little girl eating a cold hot dog at 8:30am? Was it the oblivious manner the gals had to the little girl? ALL THREE! I know. Some of you let our kids drink your frothy drinks. But the frothy drink in questions was not a fruity or non-caffeinated variety. And a hot dog? For breakfast? The kid was little!

I can't imagine this little girl when she's a teenager. If she's eating like this now? I can't imagine how healthy [cough-cough] she'll be at 15 or 16. I just had to shake myself out of that momentary pause. Seriously. This type of behavior is one of the reasons I don't want universal health-care. I don't want to be paying for people who give their kids crap to eat. I don't want to pay for those people who don't have any portion control. I don't want to pay for the resulting type2 diabetes that'll happen. I don't want to pay for the heart disease or the high blood pressure meds. Can you believe it? All these thoughts came into my mind in that moment.

[sigh]

Everyone has a right to parent their kids the way they see fit....but I had to get this one off my chest. What do you think about hot dogs for breakfast?

No comments: