Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day today?

Today was Mother's Day. A quiet day in our house. I got to sleep in today. And I slept in yesterday as well. Woohoo!

The kids and the Hubs gave me my gift after breakfast. A breakfast that the Hubs put together. The Prin helped the Bear decorate a card for me. It's so cute how he draws people. He drew a picture of the two of us -- just my Bear and me. Too cute. The Prin put together a more elaborate hand-made card. She loves doing art stuff. I treasure the cards they make me!

But we actually celebrated the event last night. We went out to dinner. There was NO way I was going out for breakfast today. It's always SO busy on Mother's Day. I wasn't going to get up early and mess with crowds. No way. No how. That would get me all riled up. We went out to the Macaroni Grill near the mall. We've only gone there a couple times in the 4 years we've lived here, so it was a nice change.

The kids loved the fact that they could color on the table -- since it's covered with big white art paper. I also had a bunch of colored paper and stickers and twist-up crayons in my bag. The Prin and I played hang-man while we waited for our table. The Bear put stickers on his own paper. Of course, the Bear also chatted with the senior citizen couple that was sitting next to us in the waiting area. Actually, the Hubs and the Bear got up off the bench so this couple could sit down. So the Bear felt it was okay to chat with the couple. He was talking about his stickers before he put them on the paper on my lap. It was nice to see the Bear speak kindly to these folks. I'm glad he was able to put a smile on their faces.

Anyway, we had a nice dinner. The kids had typical restaurant food -- mac&cheese and pizza. The Hubs and I were able to order stuff we don't normally get -- chicken & eggplant parmagiana. YUM! I actually had the house chardonnay. And I ended up getting tipsy. Yup! Me. They leave the huge bottle of wine at the table on the honor system. So I was in control of how much wine I drank. I did indulge. No wonder I slept in today. [he-he-he] It was a good time for all.



But I did observe something strange. Well, strange to me. There were couples in the waiting area of the restaurant in formal attire. Some local high school was having PROM last night. And they were eating dinner at Macaroni Grill. Huh? I know that if I was going to prom that I would KILL my date if he brought me to a chain restaurant. KILL! You know how much work and anguish it takes to select a prom dress? And getting ready? Talk about stress. Geez! But there were at least 8 couples at the restaurant. I just had to shake my head. It was kind of like when we lived in San Diego and we saw limos drive up to the Home Town Buffet. A buffet place! In a formal dress? Uh...not the best scenario. There are nice restaurants in the city. Acacia. Ventana Room. Bistro Zin. Soleil. Actual RESTAURANTS.

Where did you eat for your prom? A local chain? A fancy-shmancy restaurant?

No comments: