Friday, May 9, 2008

Revised landscaping

The Bear and I went and purchased more flowers for our front yard. Lantana.

The Hubs and I don't particularly enjoy the look of lantana....but the bunnies that live in our neighborhood definitely do not like to eat it.

Special Features: The green fruits can be poisonous and the sharp prickles and hairy leaves produce allergic reactions in many people. Lantana has also been known to cause substantial changes in soil chemistry and structure, effecting native plant growth.

That was a little blurb I found online about lantana. The bunnies probably don't eat the lantana that's all over the public areas in our neighborhood because of the allergic reaction that's possible. Ahhh....

The bunnies certainly DID enjoy eating our daisy-ish flower plants. This morning? The bunnies were SO pissed that they tore the plants out of the ground. The plants were eaten all the way down to the nub. SERIOUSLY! No leaves or flowers left. Just some stumps jutting out through the soil cluster. Down to the nub....

Like I said the Bear and I headed out to the local home improvement store and got some lantana. They only had the only yellow OR the yellow/orange mix flowering lantana. No purple! DANG IT! But we purchased 3 six-inch pots that had 2 plants each. So I ended up separating the plants out and got put them into 6 separate locations. Locations that previously had our daisies. Ho-hum.

I wonder what the Hubs will say when he gets home this afternoon. I wonder if he'll even notice? I'm sure he'll notice over the weekend as we tend to play out front with the kids. But I wonder if he'll see the change as he drives in? We'll see!

No comments: