Sunday, May 18, 2008

Still down...but not out

The Bear dealt with the tummy bug quite well yesterday.

He only vomited twice. First thing in the morning. The rest of the day nothing else happened. His tummy didn't feel optimal so he wasn't hungry. But I knew he felt bad. Why? Because around 11:30am the Hubs had a talk with him on the couch.

Hubs: Buddy. How's your tummy?
Bear: Good.
Hubs: How about you go me-mes with Mommy?
Bear: Okay.

Uh...and that was it. No resistance. Nothing. Just an okay. I looked over at the Hubs with a shocked face and got up. The Bear hopped off the couch and went into our bedroom. No complaining. He hopped onto the bed and lay down on the extra pillow. I put his Transformer blanket on him and lay down next to him. He just closed his eyes and played with my hair for only 5 minutes.

Since the Bear had a nap, then we kept the kids up late. When the Bear naps, he has a difficult time sleeping at the regular bedtime. Good plan eh?

Little did the Hubs and I realize that the plan wouldn't quite work out. This morning I heard a shuffling in the kitchen. At 5:30am. Yes. FIVE THIRTY IN THE FREAKING A.M. I walked out and found the Bear. He had a granola bar and was about to unwrap it.

Bear: Mom. I'm REALLY hungry.
Me: Okay buddy. You didn't eat much yesterday so I'm not surprised.

He went over and ate it. I was on the couch trying to see if anything was on. Not 5 minutes later I see him walking over to the half bath and motioning at me.

Bear: Come ON Mom.
Me: Then go into the bathroom buddy. No need to tell me or wait for me.

He proceeds to get sick. Poor little man. He finally got a little something into his tummy and it doesn't sit well. Afterwards, he lay on one side of the couch and I lay on the other. He actually fell asleep. For about 20 minutes. Then he woke up with a cheerful smile. He seemed okay so he went upstairs with a bucket.

About 15 minutes later he came down. He'd had a little more regurge. Into the bucket. Which he left upstairs. So I retrieved it. And had him lay back down on the couch. He was relaxed for a couple minutes before he ran for the bathroom again. It was a full blast this time. Oy! Then he lay on the couch and fell asleep for another little bit.

I heard him wake up. He looked fine once more. Cheerful and wanting a hug. We then heard shuffling from upstairs. The Princess was now up. 8am already? Geesh! I started Enchanted so they both could relax. I got them situated. Then I got on my laptop in the office.

[clink-clink-clink] Someone must be getting a drink.

[cough-cough]

I set off to running. That wasn't a good sound. The Bear was 2 steps from the refrigerator. Getting sick AGAIN! He'd just had a bunch of water (nothing in moderation for this kid of mine) and his tummy couldn't take it. He blew like a gasket. Oh my son! Thankfully he was on the tile. That's all I can say.

Of course, I had to get him and the floor cleaned up. I had to recruit the Prin to get her brother's outfit. I had to take off my jammies as it also had stuff on it. So there I was in our kitchen/family room in my bra and undies wiping down the floor. Yes it was quite a sight. I even had the yellow rubber gloves as I wiped the area with a sponge -- a mix of bleach and water I'd placed in my cleaning bucket.

Now I've got the Bear's thermos with cold water next to him and his little bucket. I've told him to sip water. The Hubs (who is finally awake) has made some toast with a smidgen of butter on it for the Bear. They're all eating in the breakfast nook together. It all sounds good for now. But I know how quickly this can change. Let's hope it all stays good for the rest of the day. It probably will...if my son takes things in moderation. [crossing fingers]

No comments: