Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Are y'all out yet?

I've been catching up on reading blogsites this week and realize that some parents are JUST having to deal with summer vacation. JUST NOW?

Goodness! I've been dealing with summer vacation for at least a month now. A MONTH! We've already sent the kids away to my ILs for a week. We've already gone for a visit to see my family. We'll be heading out to see them again next week. This is my daughter's 3rd week at Y camp. My son is finishing up another session of swim lessons. Yes. A month goes by really quickly.

But it's already almost July 4th, so I was very surprised to read that some parents are just now dealing with their kids being home. Have you now been hearing..."I'm bored. What can I do?" That phrase is something that totally grates my soul. Grrr....My daughter says that at least once a weekend.

Alas, we have to move forward and onward. The kids need things to do. And my daughter? She does well with "assignments". The assignments she enjoys the most are 'homework' type of things. Math problems. Reading comprehension stuff. So I loaded up on workbooks from Barnes & Noble before school ended. And she's done well with them. The Bear is happy to just dress up in different costumes each day and play scenarios for that character.

Next week both kids will be home. But since it's a short week, we'll only have 2.5 days alone. We're leaving early on July 2nd for the drive out to see my family. I've already figured out that we'll have "school" work each morning. Hit the library. Go to the movies (use our 'free admittance' vouchers). Do some art. Then we'll have a few days with my family again! Woohoo!

But the week after our visit? I'll have the both kids for five full days. ARGH! I didn't sign the Princess up for Y camp because I thought we were staying with my family thru that Monday. But alas, the Hubs has some important meeting that meeting. What to do? What to do? I just found out this morning that the swim school has a "power week" of classes. Ta-da! That takes about 2 hours out of our day. Because we have to get ready and then drive out there and then there's one class and then the other class and then driving home. Ha! Hopefully this will curb any "I'm bored" statements. [crossing fingers]

Now how many camps or activities do you have your kids signed up for this summer?

No comments: