Monday, June 23, 2008

She was all smiles

This afternoon we picked up the Princess from the Y a little later than we have been.

Why? Because she wanted to go swimming this week.

When I initially signed her up for Y camp this year, I asked the Princess about what we she wanted to do. What she did NOT want to do was swim.

Princess: Mommy? I don't want to swim. Could you just pick me up when we get back to the Y?

Okey-dokey. So that's what I did. I filled in the paperwork that she didn't want to swim.

But last week? When it was 114 degrees? She changed her mind.

Princess: Mommy? Do you think I can go swimming next week?
Me: You sure babe?
Princess: Yes. I'd like to.
Me: Okay. I'll find out from someone about changing that for you.

This morning I cornered one of the older (more knowledgeable) counselors and got it all fixed up. So this afternoon? Like I mentioned, the Bear and I drove out a little later to get the Princess. When we got to the pool area, I wasn't sure where to look. The big pool? The little pool? I searched and searched. And then I saw her. She was on the deep part of the more shallow pool. She looked up and saw me a couple seconds after I saw her. And her face broke out in a HUGE grin. Then she swam over to the shallow side of the pool. She did the doggy-paddle, but she got across fine.

She was SO happy! She actually got a green bracelet. Each Monday, the campers have a "swim" test before everyone gets into the pool. And each campers gets a color-coded bracelet based upon their swim level. Last year, the Princess had a red bracelet. That mean she had to stay in the little pool. Now with the green? She's allowed to go into either pool. It's a HUGE deal. HUGE! She was even allowed to use the big slide. So my Princess? She is going to 'swim' the rest of this week.

I think she realizes now why I got her into swim lessons in February. Some might think I was crazy when I mentioned it MONTHS ago. But now my Princess sees the results. She's more comfortable in the water. She's now got skills. And I'm THRILLED that she is having a good time.

No comments: