Thursday, July 31, 2008

What do you do at....

2:30am?

Yes. It's 2:39 to be exact in the freaking morning as I begin this post. And here I am at my computer. Fun times, no? I have been up for an hour. An hour you say? Yes. An hour. Why? Hmmm....

Because an hour ago I woke up suddenly out of the depths of a dream to a THUD. A thud from upstairs. With my heart racing, I listened. For a cry? For some shuffling of feet running downstairs to me. Something. Anything. But there was nothing.

Instead, I quietly tip-toed upstairs. To the Bear's room and peered inside. He was in the middle of his bed readjusting himself.

Me: What happened buddy?
Bear: I rolled off the bed.
Me: You did?
Bear: Yes. Up there. [pointing to the top of the bed]
Me: Oh...you okay?
Bear: Yeah. I'm okay.
Me: [tucking him back in] Go back to sleep. I'll see you in a couple more hours. Ni-night.
Bear: Night Mom.

So the kid is asleep. And me? Here I sit. Awake.

But did you catch the good news? The Bear is asleep in his own room! For those of you not up on the story, this is the first time the Bear has slept in his room since he was 3 years old. My son is now 5 1/2.

When we first moved into this house, he was still in a crib. He was 2. And he slept in a crib. He wasn't a climber so he slept in his crib. No choice. Then we moved him into a toddler bed. He slept in there fine. For a couple months. Then the protesting began. He didn't cry. He'd just wake up sometime in the middle of the night and fall asleep on the couch in the family room. The family room is right next to the master bedroom. My half-asleep son was walking downstairs in the dark and crashing on the couch. Not safe, right? So we ended up letting him sleep on a crib mattress at the end of our bed. We were NOT about to invite him INTO our bed. No way! So he happily slept at the foot of our bed.

Time passed as it always does. It was over a year maybe until we convinced him that sleeping upstairs was fun. How about a sleepover in his sister's room? Yes. We first checked with the Princess on this arrangement and she was okay with it. When the summer started we mentioned to him that once school starts he would have to sleep in his own room. In his big comfy bed. He seemed fine with it. So once he came home from his weekend at my ILs, I mentioned to him that he start sleeping in his bedroom. You see, at my ILs he was sleeping in the one guestroom. Alone. So I thought I'd take advantage of it and continue the trend.

The Hubs tucked the Bear in on Sunday night. People. You should have heard crying that got louder and louder. And then a SCREAM. Then there was silence. Huh? The crying didn't last long but silence right after a scream? Yeah. Pretty suspicious. The Hubs and I hid out worked in the den for a bit. I had the Hubs go up after about 20 minutes to check on the Bear.

Hubs: Go upstairs and check your son.
Me: Why?
Hubs: Just go up and look in on him.

So I tip-toed upstairs and looked through the 1/2 inch opening at the door. There was the Bear. Flat out on his back. Asleep. With his little globe light on. With a baseball cap on his head.

The kid must have touched his globe light when he screamed and realized that he'd just keep it on. He must have rummaged around his room and found one of his ASU baseball caps and felt that was a comfort. But he fell asleep. By himself. In his room. And he looked TOO cute.

---------------------------------

FYI....my older sister and her family are in Detroit tonight. My nephew will be participating in the Junior Olympics. He's doing the shot-put and the javelin. He did qualify to compete in the long jump but that meant another day in Detroit. And with prices are the way they are my sister couldn't swing it. Especially with a family of 5. But that's where they're at. So you all in Detroit? Show those Junior Olympians some love!

---------------------------------

It's now 3:32am...I'm finally heading back to bed. My eyes feel like they've got grit in them. Sandpaper anyone? Just take a look in my eyes and you'll find some. [sigh] Tomorrow In a couple hours I am going to need some heavy-duty coffee. yawn...

No comments: