Sunday, August 17, 2008

No kicking and fighting to mention

Alas....there were no fights that I need to let you know about at the shower. None.

I'm wondering if the Hubs called his Mom/Sister to make sure they didn't say anything around me. Hmmm... I don't want to ask him about it but he might have called them.

It was a nice event. It started late though. My FIL was picking up the food (by himself) and arrived about 1/2 after the party started. Now why my FIL was alone to pick up a ton of food? I don't know. But we all milled around and talked. The kids and the Hubs hung out during that time because they were going to head out with my BIL and my FIL to some game place. This gave my MIL time to introduce the kids around to all the ladies at the party.

I caught up with the Hubs' aunts (from my FIL's side of the clan). Found out what was happening with the Hubs' younger cousin. She's a chiropractor and is a very nice girl. I had a nice discussion with my SIL's (the pregnant one & married-in one) SIL. Touched base with my MIL's childhood friend, whose son is a professional wrestler. Did you notice I talked to a bunch of people and NOT to my SIL or MIL? Strategic avoidance?

The kids, the Hubs, my BIL and FIL showed up soon after the festivities were over. They ate some of the leftovers from lunch (enchiladas, tacos, refried beans, rice, etc). The kids, of course, spotted the cupcakes straight away. It was too funny. They both ended up with either blue or green lips because of the frosting. Too cute.

I started cleaning after the kids got situated with food. I can't help it. I'm not the host, but I didn't want her to have to clean-up everything on her own. I just started grabbing plastic cups, dumping their contents, and putting them into the trash. I then went around and checked for "warm" soda cans, dumping those, and throwing those in recycle. I picked up abandoned plates and dumped those. By this time, the hostess (best friend of my pregnant SIL) was emptying the trashcans. When she left to take the bags outside, I relined her trashcans. Then I put all the leftover food onto one counter and helped a couple ladies make takeaway plates. Yes. I tried to do my part. Cleaning up after a party is NOT the most enjoyable task. And I know that I accept any help -- especially those folks that just clean up rather than waiting to be asked to help.

Here's my one snarky bit...My MIL did help clean up. She had my FIL empty out the two coolers that she had brought. She had him empty those and put them into their truck. She wanted to be sure she remembered those because she borrowed those from her work. And she kept on repeating this as my FIL did everything. My MIL did not lift a finger. She didn't help clean anything else other than those two coolers. And she was one of the co-hosts of the party.

Anyway, I survived the party without starting a brawl. The kids had fun at the video-archade place with their Grandpa and Uncle (and their Daddy). My pregnant SIL got a ton of stuff for her little bundle of joy. It was a good day. Fun for all.

No comments: