Monday, October 13, 2008

Interesting how crazy people get

It only takes one person to make an entire group jump on board and get crazy or rude. We oftentimes see it nowadays with the Presidential election. Folks will say something horrible and then it turns into a big horrible scene.

I've witnessed something yucky that transpired over a couple hours via email. There was a local alumni group that happened to be sending updates about a collegiate organization. Fine and dandy. I didn't mind the updates. Even though I didn't attend this local university, I was a member of the collegiate group at my school that the alumni group represented. I'd read the emails and delete them. No big deal right?

Then I found the following string of emails in my mailbox this afternoon --
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:30 PM
Subject: unsubscribe

How do I get off of this email.

I don't recall ever signing up for this nonsense.

CT

----------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:19:24 -0700
Subject: Re: unsubscribe

Why the hell did I Get this?

JAH

----------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:43:22 +0000
Subject: Re: unsubscribe

Hey everyone

It looks like some people don't want to be on the lisserv. I am also a GP alumn and just wanted to say if you don't want to be on the listserv please just write back and say so, but please do not write rude or negative e-mails back. A current member is just trying to extend an invitation and deserves to be treated with the same respect you would want to be given.

Again if you want to be removed write back and say so but please be respectful in doing so.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 12:23:21 PM
Subject: Re: unsubscribe

Please remove me from the listserv. Thank you!

KM

----------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 12:46:58 PM
Subject: Re: unsubscribe

Dear God, you are all college graduates, act like it. Please remember how a listserv works, and stop replying to the entire group. STOP. Figure out how to email directly to the moderator of the listserv, NOT THE LISTSERV ITSELF.

See how people get all riled up after one person comes off negatively? What a horrible mess. I felt so bad for the person who started reaching out to the alumni of this particular group. I sent the person the following email:

If you would please remove me from the list on the "listserv" distribution I would appreciate it. I am an alum of the organization but was a part of the X chapter at [insert the name of my college here].

I do want to tell you that I do like the fact that you are extending yourself to the alumni in the area. It says a lot about you and the chapter at [insert name of local university].

Hopefully this little email will make this person feel better

So people? Please try to be kind. Don't be rude just because you get some email you're not expecting. At least it's from an organization you used to be affiliated with. At least it's not about enhancing your personal parts or anything lewd. If you had removed yourself from the list about 3 months ago when the emails starting coming then you'd be off by now. Seriously. Get a grip! Just because you're having a bad day, which you are most likely, don't take it out on others who may know someone you know....Just think about it.

No comments: