Friday, March 20, 2009

The fun and pain of the day

Yesterday, the kids and I went to the movies. I wanted to break up the week a bit, so I surprised them at 10am.

Let's go kids! We're going to the movies!

I heard giggles as they ran down the stairs like a herd of cattle -- even though there are only TWO of them. Those two can be loud. I. mean. LOUD.

I had them wear flip-flops since they were wearing shorts -- it was 84 degrees yesterday. Of course, since we were off to the movie theater I had their sweatshirts in my hand as I stood next to the garage door waiting for them to appear. It gets COLD in the movie theater, don't you think?

The kids enjoyed the movie, Race to Witch Mountain. They didn't know what it was about but I knew they'd like it. It had action and fantasy mixed with reality. Just their kind of thing.I actually brought some bottled water and granola bars in my bag. Yes. I brought stuff in. But I did BUY some buttered popcorn. YUM!

When we got home? The kids weren't hungry. So we put off lunch for a little bit. I hung out front with them to let them burn some energy. They ran up and down our street. They rode their scooters. I noticed a neighbor boy outside riding his bike. The boy lives next door to the Guy Across The Street. I saw the look on the Bear's face and I told him that he could go across the street and play. He happily rode across the street and was all laughs when he went up to the other boy who was riding a bike. The Bear just followed the boy up and down the other side of the street. I was chatting with the Princess when I overheard ...
Bear, I don't want you following me anymore.
Then the boy? He rode fast up the street and into the cul-de-sac.

The Bear? He looked across the street at me. I waved him over. And then he rode his scooter into the garage and sat in a fluster on a step-stool. He looked so sad. That neighbor boy hurt my little guy's feelings. And you know what? I did nothing.

I gave the Bear his space. I let the Bear feel those hurt feelings in privacy. That was the hardest thing I've had to do this week. Let him feel hurt. Not intervene. Let him feel the pain of someone who you think is your friend hurt your feelings. [sigh]

Now? He's probably already forgiven the neighbor boy. But me? I'm going to remember the kid's words. Geez...it's not like there are a ton of boys aged 4 - 6 to play with in our neighborhood. Let me tell you....the only other little boy in this age range? That 3rd boy, who lives in the cul-de-sac around the corner, actually whacked the boy across the street across the head the last time THEY were together. [snort] Boys and their aggression.

No comments: