Friday, June 6, 2008

Marketing myself [ugh]

I hate interviews. I seriously do. I hate talking about myself. Talking about what I can do. I'm very uncomfortable with the entire process.

What's funny is that I was a recruiter for a small period of time. I enjoyed it. I REALLY enjoyed talking to the people who sent in resumes. I think that due to my being uncomfortable with the process from my own personal perspective allowed me conscious about how I came across to folks. I felt it was my duty to help them feel at ease. And they did. We'd chat and chat. I really got to know them. Because they were relaxed, I was able to ask questions and they'd answer without being guarded. It was great.

But now? It's my turn to have to talk about myself. It's the ONLY way I can get a new job though. I can't just blink my eyes and have a new position. I'm no genie. I have to work for it. I have to get myself OUT there. I have to get people to want me. Uh? Do YOU want me? Ha!

I can do this.
I can do that.
My accomplishments at this job were....

So I'm going out next week to the city I grew up. I spent a couple hours today sending out my resume to places and stating in my cover letter that I'd be in-town next Thursday and Friday. IF anyone was interested in speaking with me. I said right on my cover letter that I'm looking for a job PRIOR to my official move into the area. That means I ain't moving until I've been signed up for a job.

AND since the Hubs has to work his current office job, I have to take the kids with me. I'm going to drive almost 400 miles with the kids (it'll be an 800 mile round-trip). A drive I've never done before. The Hubs ALWAYS does the drive. I'm a bit nervous about it. I have to do a mountain climb. I'm thoroughly dreading the entire experience, but I have to do it. I have to because I want a new job in the city I grew up in.

It seems that companies aren't even considering people who aren't local. I'm not asking these companies to pay for my relocation either. The Hubs and I will pay for the move. We just need new jobs. [sigh]

But can you believe that I'll be going through two experiences that I dread? Interviewing and driving over 100 miles in one sitting.

No comments: