Monday, August 17, 2009

Moving and grooving

Oh yeah. That's me!

When I was a kid, I was a tomboy. I'd walk into pond to capture guppies. I'd run around the neighborhood and get all sweaty. When I fell down, I'd patch myself up. I'd climb on the bars at school constantly.

When I reached high school, I was semi-athletic. I joined the volleyball team and the track team one year. Unfortunately, my academic schedule wasn't conducive to having 6th period PE. And I wasn't SO dedicated to any particular sport where I'd want to change my academic schedule. So instead of joining a sport, I would run about 3 miles between 3-4 times per week.

When I graduated from college, I went to the gym about 5 times per week. I loved it. I'd take an aerobics class and then ride a bike for 45 minutes. I loved it.

But life got in the way. I became a work-a-holic. I got married. I had kids. I didn't find the time for myself. Yes. I neglected myself. I guess I'm lucky though. I'm pretty healthy overall. Our family eats when we're hungry. We don't eat a load of junk. Of course, when there's a special occasion we totally indulge. But we're not a family that eats dessert with every dinner.

Because we eat when we're hungry, all of us are within healthy BMIs. I'm actually 5'3" and about 125 lbs. But to me? I'm not happy with myself. I'm not as strong as I want to be. I can't "go" like I want to go.

My sister and brother-in-law started walking/running earlier this year. My BIL is still in the walking/running stage. He has a bad back so he while he's been able to increase the number of miles he's going, he hasn't been able to really run completely. Now then. There's my sister who is running, running, running already. She actually lost 20 pounds in 3 months. TWENTY! She's now down to a size 8 and she's attempting to incorporate more into her workouts. She's starting riding a bike. She's actually contemplating training for a triathalon.

My sister's progress has inspired me. Totally gotten under my skin. And guess what? I started walking/running last week. Yes. Me! Now let me say that I'm not going very far -- maybe 1.5 miles? But it's a start. I'm kind of sticking to my route for now. I want to get my legs oriented to walking/running first. And I'm walking less and running more. I don't want to jump in too far and hurt myself (like I tend to do).

I can actually see that my legs are already more toned. My calves are getting firmer. My thighs are less giggly. My legs are not totally sore now. You should have seen me walking last week. It was NOT pretty. No. It was pathetic. But this week my legs are less stiff. My recovery after each run is easier.

I'll eventually increase my distance. But for now? I'm happy with my progress.

2 comments:

Kelsi said...

Congrats on starting on walking running! We're at 95 degrees here today and that is my reason for being inside with the A/C ;)

Grace said...

I've been doing my walk/running after I drop the kids off at school and it's around 90* by 8am. While some might think I'm crazy for going outside and doing this, it just gets hotter as the day progresses. All I can say is that going out to do my walk/run at 90* is MUCH better than going out when it's 105*.

I definitely do relish in the A/C once I get back into my house. I just lay under our big ceiling fan in our family room and stretch. Ahh...