Thursday, August 20, 2009

Trying to sneak another one in

I am trying to be better about my spending habits.

That being said, I'm more closely scrutinizing what I'm spending each month. I'm actually putting things onto a spreadsheet and planning out how much I need as a standard month-to-month versus "other" spending.

As I listened to all my transactions over the last two weeks, one statement caused me to pause.

August 13 - Service Fee - $8.95

WTF?

A service fee? For what?

I called the customer service folks at my bank's 1-800# to get things straightened out.
Customer Service Rep: Good afternoon. Welcome to "X" Bank. What can I do for you today?

Me:
Yes. I was going through my account transactions and I found a charge that isn't valid.

Customer Service Rep:
You did?

Me:
Yes. August 13th shows a service fee of $8.95. I know I wasn't overdrawn this month so I'm wondering why my account was assessed the charge.

Customer Service Rep:
Okay. let me take a look at your account.

Me:
Alright.

Customer Service Rep:
Hmm...the charge wasn't for an overdraft.

Me:
Okay. So why was my account assessed the charge?

Customer Service Rep:
You have a "X" checking account. A service charge won't be charged if you either have a balance above $1500 or if the account has a direct deposit associated with it.

Me:
Well, if you look on 8/17 there is a direct deposit into the account.

Customer Service Rep:
Oh...I see it...

Me:
Right. So the $8.95?

Customer Service Rep:
Okay. I'm in the process of reversing it right now.

Me:
Because I have to say I'm a bit disappointed right now. In June as I was reviewing my account activity, I found the same type of bogus charge on my account. When I called up the last time, they apologized and said it would never happen again. And here we are again.

Customer Service Rep:
I apologize again Ma'am. I've now reversed the charge. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Me:
No.
Y'all? If I hadn't checked on my account, the $8.95would have just been removed from my account. Just removed. For NO. GOOD. REASON. I played by their rules and they would've still snuck money away from me.

Some might say that it's only $8.95, but check the math:
* 100 accounts = $895.00
* 1000 accounts = $8,950.00
* 100,000 accounts = $895,000.00 -->this can easily be done since it's a national bank

One "clerical" error could help a bank make thousands or even MILLIONS of dollars during this tough economic time.

Lesson? CHECK. YOUR. TRANSACTIONS. EVERY. MONTH.

No comments: