Friday, November 20, 2009

NaBloPoMo - Entry 20

An interesting holiday situation  has occurred.

On Sunday, the Hubs told me that he'd received a call from his Mom about Thanksgiving.
Hubs: By the way...

Me: What?

Hubs: My Mom said that we wouldn't be doing the gift grab bag this year.

Me: We're not doing it?

Hubs: No. She said we'd skip it.

Me: Okay....is it because she doesn't have a job?


Hubs: She didn't say that, but that's probably why.

Me: Interesting. So when I lose my job, we still do the gift exchange. But when she loses her job then she decides to skip it. 

Hubs: Yeah. That's the way it goes.


Me: Yeah. Typical. She can't save for the gift exchange that she organized, but she could afford to go to Florida for a week. Okay...that makes loads of sense.
Hubs: Yeah. I didn't say it made sense.
I know that lots of people have lost their jobs. We're all on a budget. But she's the one who started this gift exchange about 10 years ago. And now that she's lost her job, she's decided to opt out of it. Hmmm...

But the Hubs and I are thinking that it's just one less thing we need to deal with during this busy holiday season. We can concentrate on the kids and creating a wonderful atmosphere here at home for them. You know?

No comments: