Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fun weekend for all

The kids and I were out and about this weekend. As a self professed homebody, spending most of the weekend away from home is quite a big deal.

HUGE!

Friday night, the kids and I went to my oldest nephew's football game. The game happened to be playing at a high school about 15 minutes away from our house, so we HAD to go. Unfortunately, my nephew's team lost but they showed some GREAT sportsmanship. When one of the other team's players was injured, all the kids on my nephew's team took a knee. The other team? Their sidelines remained standing, as did the guys on the field who were standing about 10 feet away from their injured friend. Not one of them took a knee. NOT. ONE. A while later, another of the other team player's went down. All the boys on my nephew's team took a knee. Maybe three boys on the field from the other team took a knee. Seriously! But it was really nice to see that my nephew's teammates all showed respect for the other players.

What's crazy is that bright and early Saturday morning, we headed back to that same high school. Why? Because my youngest nephew had his own football game at 8am. It was a beautiful morning. Even my youngest niece went to the game. Whenever she got restless, they kept her busy walking around the stadium. She had a SOLID nap after that.


We went home to finish up some chores and then headed out again. My sister, my youngest nephew, and my niece went with us to the annual Air Show. Instead of being in the massive throngs of people who attend during the day, we opted to go to the evening show. It was sheer chaos trying to get INTO the base since there were tons of folks headed OUT of the place. They actually tried to EXIT us out of the base. When I stopped and asked one female Marine who was directing traffic, she told me to continue to go straight down the road and then she yelled "Wagon wheel, ma'am!" What the heck? Wagon wheel? What was THAT supposed to tell me? Anyone? Anyone? I finally opened my window as we started to look like we were headed to the bundocks and asked "Excuse me?I'm trying to get IN to see the night show????" The Marine took pity on me and let me turn left onto this curvy road that led us STRAIGHT to the parking area. Woohoo! We got to see the evening parachute team, the Robosaurus, a Harrier take-off, and fireworks. It was loads of fun, even after the parking drama.




I expected to stay home today since we were out so much yesterday but....we finished up our chores for the weekend. And I wanted to get the kids out on such another great day. It was a little overcast, but it was warm. There was a centennial ride going through our community, so we walked over to where our local Farmer's Market is held every week. That's where the last water stop for the ride was located. It was just 9 more miles from the end. But it was a much needed stop. We had water, fruit, and pbj's. We even had a couple port-a-potties and I can't tell you how popular THOSE were.







I had such a great time with the kids this weekend. And I really think the kids enjoyed themselves as well. Yes. They did fight a bit. I couldn't escape that. But the good totally outweighed the bad moments. You know?

So what did you do this weekend?

No comments: