Saturday, January 1, 2011

First day of 2011

In past years, January 1st was basically a relaxing day at home.

This year? It was a day where we were once again surrounded by family.

As you all remember, we spend Christmas with the Hubby's family.

So it was high time to spend a day with my side of the family.

We headed to my sister's house Saturday around noon for a potluck lunch.

Since my BIL was making a huge vat of chili, we were asked to bring complementary items.



My BIL's sister brought hot dogs & buns, so we'd be able to make chili dogs.

I brought corn bread. Not the typically Jiffy box type. I made it El Torito style with cream-corn. It was yummy and moist alongside the chili.

We had a few types of snacky items like kettle corn, ruffle potato chips, pretzels, and a huge platter of fresh fruit (blackberries, apples, grapes, and strawberries).

We also had some short ribs, stuffed/grilled fish, steamed mixed veggies (broccoli, snap peas, carrots, water chestnuts, and bean sprouts), along with loads of desserts.

It was quite a spread...like normal!!!!

So the kids and I spent the rest of the day surrounded by my family. The kids played with their cousins. I chatted it up with the rest of the family.

It was awesome!

I love being around my family.

And I so enjoy our family gatherings because we all just accept each other for ourselves.

I was talking to my niece at one point and I told her that to me her boyfriend is already part of our landscape. He's already an expected part of our gatherings.And guess what? I just found out that my niece and her boyfriend are now engaged. ENGAGED! As of this morning! Aaahhh!!!!!!

Exciting, no?

What a way to start the year!

No comments: