Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Check-check and another check

It's that time again.

Time to get my annual check-ups for my high blood pressure and my heartburn.

I was able to see my internist in June for my high blood pressure. Thankfully my meds for that issue are working a-okay. At the doc's office I was at 120/80. Oftentimes when I measure with my cuff at home, I'm lower than that ~ 115/75.

During our discussion about what's been going on in my life in the last year, I mentioned to him that I was having some new issues with my heartburn. I was having issues again at night. What they call "break through". That's what they call it when you're already on meds and you're still having negative symptoms.

My internist said that I should continue with my current regiment and then take a supplemental half-dose of Zantac before bed and then schedule an appointment with my gastroenterologist. Of course, I had to wait a month before seeing her. Ay-yay-yay!

Well, I finally saw my gastroenterologist on Tuesday afternoon. She and I had a great discussion. She had me modify the times when I was taking my morning and evening pills. And after talking for a bit, she realized that my "break through" was perplexing her. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I am not overweight. So...she and I both decided that it would be a good idea to schedule an endoscopy.
Upper endoscopy is a procedure that enables the examiner (usually a gastroenterologist) to examine the esophagus (swallowing tube), stomach, and duodenum (first portion of small bowel) using a thin, flexible tube through which the lining of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum can be viewed using a TV monitor.
She wants to take a look inside to see if there's anything else that might be causing my symptoms. She said that heartburn symptoms could be caused by something other than classic stomach heartburn. And an endoscopy will help her rule out any other esophageal issues.

I'll be getting my endoscopy around mid-afternoon. Unfortunately, I can't eat anything at least six hours prior to the procedure. ARGH! So it's going to be big time fun for me. Oh yeah!

No comments: